12 Sept 2010

El Paraiso, Honduras

My skin quivers as I plunge into the crystal clear water of the deep pool. The waterfall thunders behind me and the spray enters my eyes; the delicious coldness providing a welcomed relief from the steaming heat and omnipresent threat of insects dwelling and vibrating in the dense, throbbing, green jungle around.

I close my eyes and can hear the humming of insect life and the curious shrill of a tropical bird, calling perhaps for its mate; hidden by the palm leaves, and out of sight. We had to drive up a dirt road and around several obstacles to get here, including a donkey and a small river; a colony of red ants and a swarm of hungry mosquitoes.

There is a group of tourists at the falls when we arrive. I'm not sure from where, but they are Hondurans, from another part of the country. Despite the 35 degrees of heat and humidity levels that must reach 100% at times, they are all dressed in jeans. I feel a little out of place as I shrug off my dress and dive under the water, semi naked, in my bikini, compared to the rest of the women tentatively entering the pool in full clothing; shirt and jeans.

A young boy with a beaming smile back flips off of the rock and dives deep down to look for a caracole which he hands to me triumphantly and with a contagious smile, displaying the gaps in his white teeth. The gesture is undeniably sweet and I am truly thankful; but I have a snail in my hand, which doesn't want to stay in its shell. Thanking him for the gift, I place it on the mossy rock beside me, and a few moments later, almost rocket through the air as I feel the slimy trail of the creature making its way up my thigh.

The people laugh and frolic, the sun shines, the children play and the jungle throbs. This is such a forgotten corner of the world. I hope no one tells Club Med.

Christina Comben

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete