20 Aug 2010

Meeting with the President

I sat awkwardly, shifting a little from side to side, on the shock-hard bench in the spartan church listening to the philharmonic concert, absorbed in the music, shutting my eyes tightly and letting the crescendo of the orchestra elevate me from my thoughts. It was a temporary relief and my mind only allowed itself a fleeting escape from the day's agitation before being brought back to reality at interludes by the occasional buzz of a cell phone and the brutal hardness of the surface beneath me.

Also the bizarre notion playing over and over in my brain that tomorrow we have an early morning meeting with the President in his house. As I shook his hand at the Law sanctioning the other day, he planted a kiss on my cheek, saying "8am, don't be late!" smiling charmingly before he was whisked away by another news channel and I was left standing somewhat open mouthed.

I try to keep calm and pay attention to the music but the thought lurches back into my conscience... If you were meeting the President of Honduras in the morning, what would you say to him? (Baring in mind that "military coup" is definitely taboo).

Christina Comben

No comments:

Post a Comment